Saturday, September 19, 2009

In Memory

Yesterday Jeff and I made the difficult decision to put down our Golden Retriever Ben. He had renal failure and had grown quite weak over the past two weeks. Rather than belaboring how bad off he was, in this post I'm going to remember what a wonderful dog he was. We adopted him almost seven years ago when he was thought to be five or six. Intended to be a friend for Chloe, he quickly became attached to Jeff and me (Jeff more so - if you ever saw them together, you know what I mean). He was an amazing swimmer, a fast runner, and he lived up to being a retriever - chasing balls and actually bringing them back. He was sweet and kind, rarely barked, and loved to lean. He was steadfastly loyal and an all-around great dog and friend. We miss you, Benny.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ben was a great dog. I admit when he originally came to stay with you I wondered if he would ever adapt to family life after living on his own in the woods. But concerns faded when I met him. He was the sweetest dog - leaning against you, wanting pets. He had a fantastic last half of his life with you guys. I will always think of him as Gentle Ben.
Much love to you all,
Michigan Grandma Jan

Anonymous said...

I am very sorry to read this post. Our thoughts are with you, Jeff and Jake. Ben is a legend and his memory will be with us for a long time to come. We will keep you in our thoughts as always.

Craig (for all of the KollerPopps)