Thursday, June 19, 2008

The Cubby Chronicles XIX

Note: Jacob Raymond Walker was born 12 weeks prematurely at Duke University Hospital the morning of Monday, May 19 2008. The following are updates, notes, & observations on his growth & development.

I'm writing this shorter (but hopefully the start of more frequent) post while sitting at Jake's bedside thanks to the wonders of modern networking technology. Duke has a fast but unreliable wireless access that drops or resets the connection from time to time (yet I have to give credit where its due--unlike most things at Duke it is free). I downloaded Firefox 3 the other day and it let me save the connection settings for the Duke login page which has made it a little more stable.

I'm happy to report the little guy is still doing well. He's handling his ever-increasing feeds & he's now up to 2 pounds, 6 ounces. Assuming he doesn't have any setbacks, the goal from here on out is to just gain weight. Ideally he'll gain 30 grams (~ an ounce) a day.

He's still working on figuring out the breathing while eating deal but he's had very few A's & B's this week which is awesome. The reflux might be going down with the gentler fortifier but whatever it is its working. Hopefully he stays the course & remains 'boring' in medical terms. Whatever happens, we'll let you know....


Addendum:
  • For those that don't read the comments (& I encourage people to read them; they're a good time) the truth has been revealed--my dad doesn't remember any Cosby Show-type bonding experience on the trip down to San Diego. I'm not too surprised and its probably a good lesson for me that I might not know when I'll be having a special moment with Jake.
  • In what has to be a software conversion gone horribly wrong, the Costco Photo Site still isn't able to share any photos from our albums (originally mentioned in late May). As most of you know, I love Costco but I must admit this (& the 40 character description limit) is trying even my patience. We'll keep you updated....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Boring is good! We think of all of you every day and can't wait to get down to NC to meet the little guy. Also Rye Lee sends Ben and Chloe some love. She know how her things change with a child! Unfortunately, Ben and Chloe have not gotten to meet Jake yet but they will love him when his food somehow becomes theirs. Rye Lee also wants to tell them to rest up now because it is hard to sleep with the crying. Despite the noise, Rye Lee loves the Bub and the Bub loves his dog.