Wednesday, June 4, 2008

The Cubby Chronicles XVI

Note: Jacob Raymond Walker was born 12 weeks prematurely at Duke University Hospital the morning of Monday, May 19 2008. The following are updates, notes, & observations on his growth & development.

A few minor, yet exciting milestones were passed this week. First off, Jake turned 2 weeks old which is very cool in and of itself. He went back to the CPAP yesterday as he was having a few more Bradys and his lungs just need a little more help. He's since breathing better & the 'A's & B's' have dropped quite a bit. As mentioned previously, all preemies just have bouts of apnea & bradys & it can be a cycle of being on the CPAP, Nasal Cannula, or just room air (though hopefully not going back to the ventilator).

Overall though he's doing great & the doctors are pleased with his progress. His blood pressure has stabilized and his 'output' is very good. His kidneys are working fine and he's tolerating feedings (K's breast milk through a tube) well & they are upping the amount every day.


One of the benefits of him turning over two weeks is now we don't have to wear gloves when we touch or hold him. While this would seem to be a minor detail its very exciting to actually feel his skin (which not surprisingly is very soft). We've also got to kangaroo him a few more times which Kristin says she could do 'forever.'

Its interesting and perhaps a little sad how these little victories mean so much to us since there's so little we can do with him. A good example is I can count on one hand how many times we've kissed his head--every time is wonderful but the scarcity is a reminder of what it means to be the parents of a preemie.

However, we cherish all the Jake we get--we generally put in at least a full day's work at the hospital and while we're there we touch, hold, speak, & sing to him as much as we can (or as much as he puts up with as he can be overstimulated). And, as seen above, when we're not around he's got Ben & Chloe watching over him....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhhhh! Although I cannot even imagine what it is like for you since your experience is so entirely different than ours, I do know how Kristin could Kangaroo forever and not far down the road, I imagine you will too miss the days of actually holding your child (especially since he is a BOY!) I live for the days when I could actually hold and cuddle Hayden! He is now a Bub on the move and he only likes to give Daddy hugs and kisses. (I think he takes me for granted because I am always around.) Glad to know he is still doing well! I think he already looks bigger in the photo you posted today!

Anonymous said...

We are sooo glad that Jake in progressing. We think the milestones are quite significant! We look forward to the blogs about Jake. We look every day.

It was great seeing the two of you last week-end.

We will keep cheering you on in the Jake cheering section.

Love, Denny and Georgia Peterson

Anonymous said...

I so enjoy reading the blogs about Jake's progress, and I smile everyday with each new step.
Love to you all,
Robin

Anonymous said...

I swear that he looks bigger in this recent photo. I'm glad he has "Ben" and "Chloe" to watch over him. What a happy family you have and even more joyful when Jake comes home.