
We've achieved a pretty big goal this morning of making it past one week since Kristin's water broke. In a couple of hours we'll make to a full 7 days here at the hospital. After a first night that was quite action-packed we've settled in and for the most part the days are getting calmer. Kristin's now wearing regular clothes and this morning the attending physician gave her permission to take short trips in a wheelchair (even outside). Of course with this more relaxed state of mind we seem to be sleeping better too.
One thing that's surprised me in my week at Duke Medical is how wasteful hospitals are. Everything they stock the room with, serve Kristin during meals, and offer patients & visitors in the cafeteria are single-serving & not exactly recyclable. Its amazing how much trash just the two of us can generate in a day & its surprisingly easy to just go along with it.
A good example are these 16 oz styrofoam cups (after all, it is the south) that we can constantly fill up with ice & water. Of course the nurses bring in new cups every time K needs medicine and we have different cups for the soda & juices too. Then the room gets too crowded with cups & they've got to go somewhere so the trash can looks mighty tempting. The next day the cycle starts over again....
Otherwise we're doing well. In between the two of us watching bad daytime TV Kristin spends some time working on a cross-stitch and I'm reading The Big Book of Birth in preparation for the big day. Also congrats go out to our good friends Kathleen & Omar, who recently went into labor with their 3rd child. Since she's close to her due date, much better for them to go before the Cubby....
3 comments:
Its nice to read that you are relaxed enough now to focus on recycling and hospital waste! I noticed the same thing during my labor and delivery experiences. In fact, when I was checking out, they told me to take anything in the room (cups, diapers, wipes, medication, toiletries, etc) because everything had to be thrown out and nothing could be reused (even if it hadn't been opened) due to sanitation restrictions.
I definitely agree about the waste. There were times that I would put a big X on the food order forms if I knew Joe was bringing takeout and they STILL would bring me a dinner that I wouldn't eat.
Congrats on completing your first week! Do you all have a DVD player? Just curious...I had a portable player and that helped pass the time. I think there were also some DVD players available on the floor. Let me know, b/c I have a slew of videos I can send your way if you are interested.
Sending positive thoughts your way,
Amy LaHait
Whoo hooo! Congrats on making it to day 7! Way to stay in there Cubby. Glad to see you guys are doing well, resting and finding yourselves more relaxed. From my fetus to yours, behave yourself little man. Best to the 3 of you.
Post a Comment