Thursday, May 22, 2008

First Kangraoo Care!


Last night and this morning we went to visit Jake and both visits went really well. Last night we watched as he got taken off the CPAP and started breathing on his own - a major milestone. This morning when we got there at 10 he was still breathing on his own! However, his nurses have let us know that it's not unlikely that he'll have to go back on at some point, but for now we are really happy with this development.

This morning I also got to do our first "Kangaroo Care" which means Jake got to come out of his isolette and I got to hold him to my chest for about 45 minutes. He cried quite a bit at first (probably all the stimulation) but Daddy's voice seemed to be the trick to calming him down. Apparently all that talking Jeff did to my belly over the past few months made an impression.

This afternoon while Jeff's at work I'm hoping to have time to post a lot of the pictures we've taken. Once they're up I'll post a link.

Thanks again to everyone for your concern and positive thoughts.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful photo! I shared it with some folks here at Datatel and they agreed. It should be published somewhere. That little Jake is a real trooper and we're so thankful. I particularly liked reading about Jeff's voice calming him down. I can't wait to meet Jake in person one day.

Verena said...

Wonderful progress little Jake! Very happy to hear he is doing so well. I'm sure the transition from the inside world to the outside one can be quite confusing. The picture is just darling. Looking forward to seeing more.

Anonymous said...

What an inquisitive expresion little Cubby has! Better get ready for all of those Why? Why? Why? questions!
We're keeping all of you close in our hearts. Robin & Lu

Anonymous said...

Beautiful baby boy! I am so happy for you both. Just wait - only a few years til he will be screaming and trying to run out on the kickball field too!

Love from Joy and Elijah