Note: Jacob Raymond Walker was born 12 weeks prematurely at Duke University Hospital the morning of Monday, May 19 2008. The following are updates, notes, & observations on his growth & development.Hey everyone, just wanted to give a quick update on little Jake. He's still doing very well overall though his blood pressure is still high & the doctors aren't quite sure why. They've scanned his kidneys three times & his heart/arteries twice and everything looks normal. His left kidney is a little smaller than the right & sits a little lower in his pelvis but the ultrasounds show its working just fine. They've also called in the endocrinologists to look at his thyroid & hormone levels but the early results show they're fairly normal.
Besides the higher blood pressure he's doing great--the ICN nurses say he's a rock star. He's still breathing on his own which is very impressive for a guy his age. His heart is also very strong and he's had minimal bouts of apnea (essentially forgetting to breathe--all preemies have this) & he quickly gets back on track with a gentle nudge. As you can see above, I got to try out the 'Kangaroo Care' yesterday and like all parents it was awesome to hold my son for the 1st time.
K & I have been at the hospital almost as much as we were when she was a patient, going to see the Cubby in the morning, then coming back in the late afternoon. The Duke ICN is actually open 24 hours but there's a shift change from 6:30 - 7:30 so in the evening we grab dinner & then head back until 9:30 or so.
A couple of non-Jake items for the Memorial Day weekend:
- My best buddy Ben passed the Georgia Bar, congrats!!!
- Our good family friend Dave is getting married tomorrow; we're very excited for him & his fiance Becky
4 comments:
I know that must have felt so good for you to hold him. What a blessing that little Jake's vitals and other tests are continuing to look so good. I will keep praying for his blood pressure and continued healthy development. I'm glad you guys can be with him so much - I'm sure he can sense your presence.
We love seeing the pictures of you both and Jake and are glad to hear that he's getting good reports from the doctors. We know this is so hard for you both. I'm glad Jake is able to feel your love and touch during Kangaroo Care. It sounds like you're all being well taken care of...just wish we could be closer to hug you all. Tell little Jake that his buddies Max and Will send him a big hug too.
We are checking on your log, and it is great to see the fella! We keep wishing you the best.
Rosy and Mike
Jeff and Kristen! Jake looks AMAZING and Brian and I are so thrilled that he is doing so well. Really, he does sound like a rock star!
Any idea when he gets to go home with you guys??
We love y'all!
Lisa, Brian and Tilley
Post a Comment