We really cannot express how much we appreciate all the care and concern everyone has shown. We're pretty sure we're not reaching everyone when we send out email updates, so we've decided to go to the even less personal option of posting to our blog. It feels a little cold to do things this way, but we want to make sure that everyone that would like information can access it. Thanks so much for all the calls and emails, even if we can't reply or call you back, we really do appreciate hearing from you, so please feel free to keep calling and emailing. It means a lot to hear/read your messages. What follows is my attempt to tell you about the roller coaster we've been on for the last week and a half....
Last Monday (April 28) my uterus was measuring too large at my monthly prenatal checkup, so my OB sent me to have an ultrasound to see if I had a huge baby (as Jeff said at the time - maybe the cubby is just the Hulk) or too much amniotic fluid or what was going on. On Thursday, May 1, we had the ultrasound and learned that I do indeed have too much amniotic fluid (a condition known as polyhydramnios). I was allowed to continue to work but told to rest when I got home (no cooking, cleaning, walking the dogs, etc). I was told to call my doctor if I thought I felt contractions or if I thought my water broke.
On Monday, May 5, I had a feeling that perhaps I was leaking amniotic fluid. I went to my regular OB that afternoon, and she confirmed that I was leaking fluid (meaning my water broke). She sent me immediately to Duke University Hospital and told me that I could have the baby that night or several weeks from now. When we got to Duke, they immediately gave me a steroid shot (to help the cubby develop - particularly his lungs), put me on magnesium (to inhibit labor and contractions), and started giving me antibiotics. Over night I had the fun joy of getting a catheter and dealing with the effects of the magnesium. I also had some contractions and it was really touch and go on going into labor. Needless to say, Monday night was pretty difficult.
Mid-day Tuesday they took me off the magnesium. I had a few more irregular contractions that afternoon. But I made it to the second round of steroid shots that evening. Apparently the two steroid shots are really a key to making sure the baby has the best chance if he is delivered prematurely. We also had an ultrasound which showed that the cubby looks good (and we got some 3D pictures of him). Even though I am leaking fluid, at Tuesday's ultrasound, I still had way too much fluid (even more than at last Thursday's ultrasound) And I continued to get antibiotics. The antibiotics are to fight off infection. Apparently infection is the biggest concern right now and is what will most likely send me into labor.
On Wednesday, we made it to the 48 hour mark (48 hours after my water broke Monday morning) which is a real milestone as 50% of women who have premature rupture of the membranes (water breaking) will deliver within 48 hours. The next big milestone is 2 weeks - 80% of women deliver within 2 weeks.
Right now, we're doing well. I slept well last night with some mild abdominal cramping but nothing I couldn't sleep through (it seems as though as long as I can sleep through any pain/contractions the doctors don't care too much). This morning the monitors (I go on every 20 minutes once a day) picked up some more low level contractions that I couldn't really feel (the same thing happened yesterday). I also took a shower for the first time! Woohoo! After that we went down to pediatric cardiology for our echogram. The attending OB wanted to do a more detailed ultrasound of the heart just to see if there is anything wrong (although the standard ultrasound wasn't picking up anything). Anything they can detect now we'll help the neonatologists immensely when the cubby is born. Anyway, the cardiologist thinks the cubby's heart looks good. He might have a small-medium hole between his upper chambers but from other views the doctor said he couldn't see it. The doctor said it is something that would probably close up after birth and/or be something we'd worry about a few weeks after he's born. The doctor also thought his heart looked a little stiff when it releases blood (something like that - we can't remember the exact terminology) which is probably from the pressure of the excess fluid. But overall, he thought everything looked really good and those were very minor problems - if problems at all.
I'm sure that I'm forgetting some things and may have to come back and update this with some more background information, but hopefully that is enough to bring people up to speed.
9 comments:
Kristin and Jeff,
Thanks for filling us in on what's been happening. I'm really sorry for all that you both are going through. That little cubby is a fighter and I know he's working hard to get himself growing in there so he's ready to come out into this world. We're thinking of you all and send our love.
Casey, Greg, Max, and Will
amanda and i are thinking of you guys constantly. thank you for the updates, and we're glad to hear things are pretty stable right now. if there's anything we can do please let us know.
and tell street to hang tight for a few more weeks.
Peter & I are so very glad it is looking good, more cooking is always better:-)
We are sending you extremely strong wishes for a long uneventful stay in the hospital.
Keep blogging, we like the updates!
love,
Cindy & Pete
Hi Kristin and Jeff:
We have been thinking of you and have all of you in our prayers. Glad that things are looking a little more stable today. You can do it so hang in there.
With love,
Geri and Lenny Drexler
Thanks for the updates. I've known two people who had problems with not enough amniotic fluid, but this is the first I had heard of polyhydramnios. It sounds like Mr. Cubby is strong and healthy. I'll keep praying for him to stay in there longer and for K's comfort. God bless all three of you.
So glad we got to talk...we are thinking about you and hang in there! And K, (odd question) are you eating real food at the present time?
Jeff & Kristin... Thanks for the update. Heather and I are thinking of y'all. Keep that little guy in there as long as you can.
Dear Kristin and Jeff:
Sorry to hear the little cubby tried to enter the world way too early. Hopefully that is not an indication he will be a "Type A" "rush-arounder" like the two of us.
We think of you guys many times a day and check the computer for updates. You are doing a great job of letting folks who are concerned about you know how things are going and your progress.
Take it easy and keep reaching those milestones. Sing the "Stay in the Oven" lullaby to the little cubby.
We love you guys,
Kit and Tom
Tell that little cubby I will be there soon and to hang on.
Gamma B
Post a Comment