Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Hospital Food

Today has been another great day - no baby and no labor. Tomorrow the Cubby will be 27 weeks gestation which is a good milestone, but we are of course hoping for more. Today we had another ultrasound and everything still looks good. I still have way too much fluid, but it hasn't gone up since the last ultrasound on Friday, so that's also good.

Yesterday the dietician stopped by because I've been underwhelmed by my vegetarian choices of 1. peanut butter and jelly or 2. cottage cheese and fruit plate. She let me know about the "Or you may prefer" menu which does include a few better options, so hopefully things will improve. I also let her know that I was writing things in on the menu (very complicated things like "strawberry yogurt") and wasn't getting them. So, for now I've been getting what I asked for - basically. Over the weekend one of the food tray deliverers (I have no idea what their actual job title is) told me that I could get Amy's Organic Tofu and Veggie bowls if I wrote them on the menu, but she said to call it "Asian Tofu Bowl" not just "Tofu" or I would get "noodles or something." So, I dutifully wrote "Asian Tofu Bowl" on the menu for today, and here's what I got...


The vegetarians will instantly recognize that that is just a block of tofu straight out of the package. Was it soft? firm? I have no idea. I don't even know if they heated it up. It's pretty clear they didn't season it or prepare it in any way. All I did was take the cover off the dish, stare in disbelief, take the picture, and ask Jeff to put the tray back in the hall.

7 comments:

Karen Saunders said...

Got Tufu?

Hilarious. Thanks for the chuckle. Congrats on making it another week!

cindy said...

Wow! I would never have believed they would do that. Jeff - you need to go get some of the Amy's, bring in a cooler and find a microwave to use!! Doesn't the hospital canteen have better food that Jeff could go get? You need to come north guys, the new south isn't cutting it.
Hang in there, we are all rooting for you to stay the course.

Anonymous said...

I agree with your friend Cindy. I think that the South is slow to catch on to what vegetarianism truly is (as is apparent by your photo). Although technically the south, at least Fairfax-VA hospitals have veggie burgers (which I got sick of after two days, so I guess its not as great as it sounds).
Congratulations on making it to week 27. I'm praying hard for the Cubby to stay in the womb at a minimum until week 30 - but hopefully well beyond!
Good luck with your menu!

Anonymous said...

Kristen, I work with Jeff and Reed... all I can say is WOW... I don't eat full veg, but I think I would be scared after seeing that.

We are keeping you in our thoughts here at the System Office. Let us know if you need anything!!!

Anonymous said...

too funny! I can't believe it or maybe I can? Glad to know things are going well so far and that the Cubby is staying put.

Lataunya said...

Hi Kristin, Jeff:

I'm keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. I'm glad Cubby is holding tight.

Lataunya

Casey Sommers said...

Totally cracked me up. :-) Will loves it right off the block like that but anyone else, no way!

Thinking of you both lots.
XO - Casey